The Patient Access Specialist is responsible for the complete coordination of care including but not limited to registration, check in, scheduling, and clerical functions within the department. This position will serve to facilitate the requests and needs of patients, visitors, physicians and other clinicians to ensure the best continuum of care among all service lines. Travel to other sites if required based on staffing and volume requirements.
Minimum Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- One year experience in hospital registration service and /or scheduling, or related medical office experience.
Position Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Schedule and register patients according to all hospital, BocaCare, and departmental policies and procedures.
- Utilize Greenway and MRS to verify and validate patient recommendations.
- Identify and verify insurance plans and to enter the correct information in the computer system.
- Request and document payment of all applicable patient co-payments, deductibles, deposits and any other out of pocket expenses due at time of service.
- Ensure that all pre-certification requirements have been met within the specified time frame as detailed by the insurance contract.
- Obtain all required signatures and complete all required forms
- Handle reception and check in- desk functions including check-in/tracking board order entry and other applicable front desk duties.
- Properly handle outside imaging.
- Expected to handle medical record intake and release
- Expected to handle IT functions as it pertains to image scanning, CD uploading, CD burning, PACS functions
- Schedule patient appointments for consultations, evaluations, treatments, follow-up or re-evaluation in Greenway and PHS, as necessary.
- Coordinate appointments with ancillary departments and physician offices, as necessary.
- Assist in maintaining and updating medical records.
- Apprise supervisor of any customer service issues requiring attention.
- Ensure a 100% quality check of registration packets for Physician and Physician order requirements.
- Consistently seek information regarding changes or additions to services and programs provided by BRRH
- Escort patients and visitors to destinations when appropriate.
- Incumbent may be required to perform emergency duty before, during and/or beyond normal work hours or days in the event of an emergency, crisis situation or disaster (man-made or natural) including evacuation sites.
*The person in this position will work in a smoke-free location and is expected to adhere to all smoking restrictions.
*In the spirit of wellness for both our employees and patients, Boca Raton Regional Hospital has instituted a mandatory influenza prevention vaccination program. Current employees must receive the influenza prevention vaccination free of charge during the recognized flu season. As a condition of employment, new hires will be required to comply with all program rules. This is a mandatory program with the exception of documented medical or religious reasons for not receiving the vaccine. For further information on this progressive program, please contact Boca Raton Regional Hospital's Human Resources Department at 561-955-4075.