The Patient Financial Services Manager is an integral part of the operation of Buena Vista. This position oversees the processes and systems related to the revenue cycle to maximize reimbursements of the business. This includes providing operational oversight for the patient revenue cycle and registration functions for the business. Ensures patients, patient families and internal clients are provided high quality service experiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage facility AR, billing, collections, bad debt, Medicare/Medicaid bad debt, refunds, adjustments, cash posting, denials write offs, admin and charity write offs and up-front collections payment and discounts
- Provide insurance training to Patient Experience Department, Business Development and Utilizations Managers
- Manage all contracts for facility, regarding policy, procedure, billing, claims and time frame regulations, Assist UM department for authorization process.
- Lead, direct and influence registration, admitting, front office, and/or patient financial services functions and staff for the assigned region/business entity. This includes collaboratively working with other business entity leadership, as well as practice management leadership.
- Develop work goals and objectives in accordance and alignment with company goals; provide measures and feedback, leadership and motivation for staff achievement of departmental goals.
- Monitor and troubleshoot issues related to revenue cycle processes and coordinate resources required to resolve issues.
- Identify and implement opportunities to improve the revenue cycle for greater reimbursement. This may include, but is not limited to, organizing the modification of existing processes to gain efficiencies, educating staff on appropriate processes to reduce errors, and coordinating with practice management to ensure understanding of process flow.
- Work with analytical staff to develop operational and financial reports related to revenue cycle processes and provide analysis of monthly performance.
- Negotiate contracts, single case agreements and rate reviews with all payors for the benefit of the practice.
- Monitor staff performance and quality and address any training or performance issues on a regular basis.
- Function as a liaison with other managers in coordinating billing efforts and addressing major charge and billing and reimbursement matters.
- Provide direct assistance and resolution to client inquiries.
- Report any detected trends in payments or denials, as well as procedural problems and makes recommendations regarding the correction of these trends or problems.
- Conduct routine account activity quality audits to verify accounts are being worked appropriately.
- Monitor internal processes for all functions of the unit, revise and develop consistent protocols for across the business that meet the needs and are aligned appropriately with Buena Vista’s values.
- Maintain knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws, and guidelines that impact patient accounting.
- Develop effective internal controls that promote adherence to these guidelines and programs.
- Support Buena Vista’s Compliance Program by adhering to policies and procedures pertaining to HIPAA, FDCPA, FCRA, and other laws applicable to Buena Vista’s business practices.
- Develop, implement and monitor revenue cycle/patient financial services processes to ensure accurate documentation and processing of those services. Ensures all practice staff are appropriately trained on systems that support revenue cycles processes. Coordinates systems changes and upgrades with practice management and ensures procedural changes are implemented and functioning.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications and Skills Required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Working knowledge of HIPAA PII security requirements.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- 3+ years of experience in healthcare business office operations
- Proven knowledge and experience in governmental, legal and regulatory provisions related to collection activity.
- Knowledge of insurance company practices regarding reimbursements.
- Ability to lead and develop staff and provide consistent performance management.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, challenging and dynamic environment.
- BA/BS Degree
- Prior management or supervisory experience.
Preferred Skills and Knowledge
- Graduate degree.
- AAHAM (American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management) Certification.
- AHCCCS Provider Enrollment, Medicare Provider Enrollment
Job Type: Full-time
- Relevant: 3 years (Required)
- Remote/Work from home
- Multiple locations