The Department of Corrections, State Correctional Institution at Mercer is seeking a highly motivated Drug and Alcohol Treatment Specialist to join our team!
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST APPLY TO THIS VACANCY POSTING, MEET ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS AND RECEIVE A SCORE. YOUR SCORE IS ONLY VALID FOR THIS SPECIFIC VACANCY. ONCE THIS POSITION IS FILLED, YOUR SCORE IS NO LONGER VALID.
- Full-time employment
- 40 hour work week - work hours are Monday - Friday: 08:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- This position is eligible for full retirement benefits at age 50 or 55
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Working for the Department of Corrections as a DATS (I/II) consists of providing drug and alcohol treatment to the inmate population via the Substance Use Disorder Therapeutic Community (T.C.). Daily job duties consist of providing evidence-based group therapy sessions as well as overseeing morning and afternoon meetings as a part of the program structure. Duties also consist of providing individual counseling sessions with individuals on the DATS' assigned case load. Monitoring inmate's progress through the program and maintaining accurate documentation is a critical component of the job.
Critical thinking skills and interpersonal communication skills are a vital skill set to have, but also are ones that can be developed working in the team-focused atmosphere. Working individually with the inmates is an integral and rewarding component of working as a DATS. The assigned DATS has a unique opportunity to firsthand see the inmates actively engaging in the change process. This provides an opportunity to have a positive impact on not only the inmates in the program, but provide an invaluable service to the community that the inmates will be returning to.
If you have the required experience as indicated below, and wish to explore a rewarding career that offers the opportunity to share your skills while earning a great salary and benefits, the PA Department of Corrections at SCI Mercer wants to hear from you!
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING & ELIGIBILITY
- Must meet PA residency requirement for this title
- Minimum Experience and Training Requirements: One year of experience as a
Corrections Counselor or Social Worker; OR One year of professional experience providing drug and alcohol counseling services directly to clients in a social work setting and a bachelor's degree that includes 18 college credits in the behavioral
sciences; OR One year of para-professional experience providing drug and alcohol counseling services directly to clients in a social work setting; and
certification by the PA Chemical Abuse Certification Board as a "Certified
Addictions Counselor"; OR A Master's degree with major course work in addictions science, psychology or social work; OR An equivalent combination of experience and training which includes 18 college credits in the behavioral sciences.
- This posting requires submission of your college transcripts AND your resume. You may upload your documents as attachments during the application process. You must still complete the application and answer the supplemental questions. All documents MUST be uploaded prior to the submission of your application.
- Must be able to perform essential job functions
- A conditional offer of employment will require satisfactory completion of a medical examination and a drug screening test.
Pennsylvania law (51 Pa. C.S. §7103) provides employment preference for qualified veterans for appointment to many state and local government jobs. To learn more about employment preferences for veterans, go to www.employment.pa.gov/Additional%20Info/Pages/default.aspx and click the Veterans' Preference tab or contact us at
Further information on testing, assistance for persons with disabilities, veterans' preference, and other items can be obtained from:
- Score valid for this specific posting only
- Score based on information reported on application and supplemental questions
- Provide complete and accurate information or:
- score may be lower than deserved
- application processing may be delayed
- disqualification may result
- May only test once under this announcement
- Email notice of test results provided
- Only most recent exam score is counted
Harrisburg: 2nd Level, Strawberry Sq. Complex, 320 Market St., P.O. Box 569, Hbg., 17108-0569; Telephone (717) 783-3058
Philadelphia: 110 North 8th St., Suite 503, Phila., 19107
Pittsburgh: 411 Seventh Ave., Room 410, Pgh., 15219
Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS): 711 (hearing and speech disabilities or other individuals)