Fairway Market wants to ensure that all of our customers are receiving the best shopping experience each time they walk into our store. The Cheese Clerk is an integral part of the Fairway Market experience. As a Cheese Clerk, you work on the sales floor to proactively engage customers and create opportunities to upsell and cross sell Fairway products. The following are the roles and responsibilities of a Cheese Clerk position:
- Package, wrap, weigh, stamp, mark and accurately price and label merchandise for retail sale.
- Build visually attractive displays, prepare trays and set up cases, rotate and replenish product as needed. Maintain accurate department signage and pricing. Prepare trays and set-up cases and overall food displays.
- Check and maintain proper temperature and humidity levels within coolers and/or freezers on a regular basis.
- Assure accuracy of orders placed and product received, noting any discrepancies with quantities ordered and received. Order appropriate amounts of product to meet business demands and limit shrink. Properly receive orders of products, assuring freshness. Assure quality standards, and superior qualities are met. Monitor freshness and quality of products.
- Ensure product availability, quality and freshness by proper rotation, stocking and replenishing of products to help maximize profitability and minimize shrink.
- Be knowledgeable about different cheeses and products in the department and recognize differences among similar products e.g. type, region, production and pairing information to better assist and/or advise customers.
- Properly display cheese products to customers and provide customers knowledge-based service on quality, method of handling, preparation and storage of cheese products.
- Operate relevant equipment in a safe and productive manner.
- Observe safe and sanitary food handling practices at all times including, but not limited to, proper hand washing, use of food handler gloves, hair restraints, storing product in appropriate areas, etc. Maintain daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedules.
- Proactively engage customers, promote product and sales, build customer relationships, and provide G.R.E.A.T. customer service that encourage customer loyalty and add value to the Fairway brand.
- Work collaboratively with fellow employees and managers and recognize teamwork and diversity throughout the store to resolve conflicts respectfully and in a timely manner.
- Maintain a strong time and attendance record to ensure the smooth flow of departmental operations.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment by practicing high standards of food and human safety and sanitation techniques provided by Fairway work rules and policies and Health Department Regulations.
- Replenish department supplies frequently to ensure efficiency of workflow and employee job tasks.
- Adhere to all department-related and company-related work rules and policies while upholding Fairway’s core values of integrity, respect and excellence.
- Perform miscellaneous roles assigned by management that would help the team on an as-needed basis.
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuous learning and supply feedback to management to help improve operations.
Candidates who apply for the Cheese Clerk position must possess the following skills:
- Good working knowledge of food quality, hygiene and sanitation.
- Strong Customer Service skills and ability to interact with other people and participate actively in department and staff meetings.
- Strong teamwork and diversity awareness and ability to recognize and welcome differences among people and resolve conflicts respectfully and in a timely manner.
- Organizational and time management skills and ability to prioritize requests and department activities.
- Problem-solving skills to effectively assist customers in a wide range of different transactions.
- Meet physical demands required for the position.
- Effective communication skills and ability to read, write and comprehend English.
- Availability to work weekends, holidays, and other prime times of the business.
- Must be at least 18 years of age to work in the department.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Continuous interaction with customers and coworkers in a fast-paced work environment.
- Exposure to various food allergens throughout the store.
- Frequent motions such as standing, walking, kneeling, squatting, bending, lifting and reaching.
- Lifting up to 50lbs. and pushing and pulling carts up to 100lbs.
- Standing and walking for 4-6 hours at a time.
- Working in an environment with fluctuating temperatures.