The Quality Control Specialist will be responsible for administering, managing, and maintaining applicable quality control programs & policies at Fairway’s Production and Distribution Center (PDC) in the Bronx. He/she shall be responsible for the day-to-day implementation and continuous improvement of food safety focused programs, including but not limited to, Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs), Safe Quality Food (SQF) Food Safety and Quality systems, Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP), and Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) compliance. This position will be the dedicated HACCP Coordinator. Position reports directly to the Senior Manager of Food Safety Compliance for the PDC.
Additional Responsibilities, Skills and Knowledge:
- Directly responsible for implementation and maintenance of the food safety plan to ensure that all prerequisite programs, preventive controls, and critical control points perform within expected standards.
- Oversee and ensure day-to-day compliance to HACCP plans.
- Manages, maintains and ensures all SQF policies, procedures, training manuals, logs, documentations and other records are up to date.
- Work with kitchen and bakery staff and management on any QC discrepancies to assure proper compliance is maintained.
- Perform inspections and analysis on products, record the results and report any discrepancies.
- Provide feedback and corrective action recommendations to associates regarding quality/ food safety practices with courtesy and professionalism.
- Complete HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points), SQF (Safe Quality Food) and FDA paperwork in a timely and accurate manner.
- Daily QC activities include pre-operational checks, operational checks, and post-operational checks, temperature checks, thermometer calibration, sanitizer checks, etc.
- Respond to questions presented regarding product quality, food safety, and product specification or other quality related items.
- Maintain a safe work environment. Strict adherence to all company policies, procedures and safety rules.
- Assist in a timely fashion with customer complaint investigations.
- Oversee all third party audits and inspections. Seek to establish constructive working relationships with inspectors and auditors.
- Responsible for reviewing results of internal facility inspections. Implement corrective and preventive actions for on time completion.
- Responsible for monthly, quarterly and yearly reports, as necessary.
- Ability to write SOPs and work instructions.
- Effectively work with production team and other members of quality team to develop and maintain a robust and effective food safety and quality system.
- Ability to document findings in recorded form by means of data input on a computer and/or writing long hand in a notebook or preprinted form.
- Ability to work both individually and as a member of a team.
- Other tasks as assigned by Senior Manager of Food Safety Compliance for the PDC.
- HACCP, SQF, and PCQI a plus
- Previous food safety and/or quality control experience.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficient Microsoft Office skills.
- Good organization, prioritization, multi-tasking and attention to detail skills.
- Must have basic mathematical and literacy skills to read and document temperatures, weights, etc. of products and have a general understanding of weight relationships.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus.