AdventHealth University, a Seventh-day Adventist institution, specializes in the education of professionals in healthcare. Service-oriented and guided by the values of nurture, excellence, spirituality, and stewardship, the University seeks to develop leaders who will practice healthcare as a ministry.
PRIMARY CUSTOMERS, PARTNERS, AND TEAM:
At AdventHealth University (AHU) our primary customers are students, faculty and staff. Our partners are physicians, allied health clinicians and other employees of AdventHealth Hospital.
Peer Tutors assist students in academic achievement by meeting them on a regular basis to clarify learning problems and work on study skills. Tutoring is a supplement to teaching. Peer tutors provide motivation for learning and act as role models for their peers. They work on an individual basis or in group sessions to answer questions on course content and provide study strategies to aid in the mastery of course content. They assist students with developing effective study habits, use of appropriate learning resources and learning strategies to accelerate the student’s cognitive development. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• • Ability to function as a peer tutor for AHU students
• • Be punctual for all tutoring sessions
• • Follow all applicable AHU policies outlined in the Employee and Student Handbooks
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Currently registered student at AHU
• • Eligible to tutor a desired General Education course upon Professor recommendation
• • Eligible to tutor a desired AS/BS Professional Program course upon AHU Program Professor/Chair recommendation.
• • Has received a grade of “B” or better in any course tutored
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
• • N/A
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
• • Certified by the National Tutoring Association
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Demonstrates behaviors at AdventHealth University in harmony with the “Four Words” Nurture, Excellence, Spirituality, and Stewardship.
• • Tutors function at the discretion of the program coordinator in those courses considered appropriate: based on curriculum and facilitating both individual and group sessions.
• • Assists the student in developing effective learning strategies, use of appropriate equipment and resources to stimulate their subject knowledge and improve critical thinking skills.
• • Create and maintain a tutoring schedule convenient to both the student and the tutor.
• • Maintain accurate and up to date records of each tutoring session.
• • Maintain strict confidentiality of all student information, material and discussions shared in the tutoring relationship.
• • Perform front desk activities including answering the phone, scheduling, record keeping in the absence of the Tutor Coordinator.
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. Responsibilities are subject to change.