Nurse/ Paramedic/ EMT
Camp Wakonda and Lanowa, are American Camp Association Accredited camps, located in Harriman State Park and just 30 minutes from West Point. We are offering the service opportunity of a lifetime to interested and motivated cadets! A chance to experience an unforgettable summer helping homeless children experience the great outdoors and a summer that they will never forget! Sponsored by Homes for the Homeless, (www.hfhcamps.org), and located on a fresh water lake, HFH Camps serve a co-ed population of 75 campers ages 7-9 for Camp Wakonda and 120 campers ages 10-13 for Camp Lanowa.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Candidates with a strong desire to work and live in the outdoors for 2 months during the summer! Sleeping cabins are rustic, no electricity, but we provide food, bedding (feel free to bring your sleeping bag!) and abundant wildlife.
- Maturity, good moral character and integrity, we need role models.
- An understanding of and liking of children; knowledge of behavioral issues a plus.
- Patience and sensitivity to the needs of children.
- A willingness to work as a team player for the benefit of the children that are having the time of their lives!
- Willing to accept challenges and step out of their comfort zone!
WHEN DO WE NEED YOU?
- Saturday, June 3rd senior staff is expected to arrive
- Monday June 19th, General Staff Training begins at 12 Noon
Session 1: Friday June 30, 2017 – Thursday July 13, 2017
- Monday July 17TH staff back from break by 1:00 PM
Session 2: Tuesday July 18, 2017 – Tuesday August 1, 2017
- Monday August 6th staff back from break by 1:00 PM
Session 3: Monday August 7, 2017 – Monday August 21, 2017
- All staff departs by Tuesday, August 25th by 3:00 PM
WHAT DO WE NEED YOU TO DO?
- Assume responsibility for the health, safety and sanitation of camp.
- To keep accurate daily records of all medical treatment administered at the camp infirmary in health record book.
- Review the medical record of each incoming camper and to compile a listing of those campers sent to camp with medication to be administered during their stay.
- Advise the camp director and instruct the staff on all matters relating to health education, sanitation, accident prevention and first aid in the camping situation.
- To maintain the camp infirmary in good condition regarding sanitation, maintenance, repair and appearance according to standards and regulations set by Homes for the Homeless Summer Camps and New York State Dept. of Health.
- Maintain ongoing inventory and requisition and replenish as needed all medical and first aid equipment and supplies.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Doctor, Nurse Practitioner, Physician's Assistant or Registered Nurse, EMT with valid New York State License.
- Current ARC CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
- ARC RTE (Responding to Emergencies) certification.
- Knowledge of the residential camping situation as it pertains to health and safety supervision.
- Willingness to participate in overall camp program
Here is how to apply:
You can visit our website, www.hfhcamps.org , click on the Work For Us tab and download our application. While you are at the website check out our video and other information about our amazing camps.
Once the application is complete please email it to Employment[@]hfhcamps.org . You may also direct any questions you may have to this email address.
We will also need:
Three letters of reference
A physical exam by a licensed Medical Doctor and be up to date with all required immunizations
Additional special skills and certifications (First Aid, CPR, EMT, and other) are a plus.
Job Type: Temporary
Required licenses or certifications:
- NYS License
- * ARC RTE (Responding to Emergencies) Certification