To respond to calls for out of hospital emergency medical services and provide appropriate and high quality medical care to victims of injury or illness, as authorized by regional standing delegated orders or through online medical control. This is a highly visible position in the community and, as such, Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) shall interact with patients, the public, members of other agencies and departments with a high degree of courtesy, professionalism, and respect and always with the welfare of the patient and the public in mind.
- Responds to emergency calls received through the 911 system, evaluates the nature and acuity of illness or injury, establishes patient care priorities, administers appropriate pre-hospital care, and provides the necessary transportation for patients to the appropriate medical facility. All of the aforementioned duties must be accomplished within the protocols and regulations set forth by Lenox Hill Hospital, the Fire Department of New York, the, Regional Medical Advisory Council of New York City, and the New York State Department of Health.
- Provides appropriate verbal communication and prepares thorough written documentation of the condition and treatment of the patient, at the scene and during transport, and any other information pertinent to Emergency Department staff for diagnostic, recordkeeping, legal, or billing purposes.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients, emergency personnel, and the public through the use of sound judgment, personal protective equipment (i.e. gloves), and constant equipment checks. This includes ensuring sanitary conditions of equipment, vehicles, and other hospital property. Checks vehicles and equipment for compliance with NYS DOH, FDNY, Lenox Hill Hospital, and manufacturer’s standards.
- At all times interacts with patients, members of the public, members of other agencies or departments with a high degree of courtesy, professionalism, and respect.
- Maintains familiarity with emergency and prehospital medical care by constantly keeping up to date with the latest practices. Maintains knowledge of REMAC treatment protocols, Lenox Hill Hospital policies and procedures, and Fire Department of New York operating guidelines.
- Performs and participates actively in Continuing Medical Education, Clinical Continuous Quality Improvement, and other departmental programs, goals and objectives as directed by the supervisory staff or the Director.
- Operates hospital ambulances with due regard and in a safe manner, as indicated by NYS DMV, NYS DOH, and Lenox Hill Hospital.
- Performs related duties, as required.