Job Title: Pharmacy Technician
As a primary contact for Safeway customers, the Pharmacy Technician provides friendly, courteous, and helpful service. Receive prescriptions for customers, obtain necessary information including customer’s name, address, and physician. The Pharmacy Technician works under the direct supervision of the registered Pharmacist to assist in the delivery of Pharmacy services to the public, support personnel, the Pharmacy Technician may assist in all phases of the Pharmacy operations excluding any activity which by law only a licensed Pharmacist may perform. Counts and packages prescriptions, prepares billing, types labels, reorders supplies, and processes payment. The position is hourly non-exempt. The Pharmacy Technician reports to the Pharmacy Manager, Store Manager, 1st and 2nd Assistant Manager or Person In Charge.
Safeway Pharmacy employees are generally responsible for completing the following job duties:
1. Provides customer service as defined by the employer within the scope of the position and within company policy.
2. Assist in the filling of prescriptions to include computer inputting, counting appropriate dosage units, pouring of medications as allowable by law.
3. Phone or fax prescribing office to obtain refill authorization.
4. Assist customers in locating over the counter product.
5. File and sequence new prescription documents daily.
6. Promotion of generic alternative at prescription drop-off window.
7. Replaces stock in displays surrounding the pharmacy area.
8. Receive and check in product orders from pharmacy suppliers.
9. Manage invoices, record and track against accounting reports.
10. Order replacement stock and supplies.
11. Checks incoming order against invoices and stocks to shelves.
12. Maintain and organize filled prescriptions in pharmacy ready rack.
13. Collects outdated/ overstock product, prepares to return appropriate source.
14. Check and change distilled water as necessary.
15. Check insulin and refrigerator temperature daily.
16. Operates electronic cash register.
17. Maintains cleanliness of the pharmacy area of the store and general housekeeping daily.
18. Comply with all policies and procedures set by the company.
19. Other duties as assigned.
Job Title: Pharmacy Technician
JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Ability to follow company customer service procedures. Demonstrated prior customer service skills or related experience.
2. Ability to interact professionally with customers and co-workers.
3. Must have the ability to read, write and communicate in English.
4. Ability to understand and follow instructions.
5. Working knowledge of State and Federal pharmacy laws, rules, and regulations and HIPAA.
6. Interpret prescription labels to determine refills, remaining and time frames of original prescription.
7. Verifies that the stock bottle matches the file tag when processing prescriptions.
8. Excellent telephone skills with customers, prescribing offices and physicians. Obtain all 3rd party insurance prescriptions information if required.
9. Have a complete understanding of all 3rd party prescription processing and accounting procedures.
10. Know generic name of top 100 brand name counterpart drugs.
11. Be able to calculate authenticity of DEA numbers and metric quantity apothecary equivalent.
12. Working knowledge of pharmacy computer to include inputting new, refill prescriptions and customer information.
13. Ability to make quality decisions and work under minimal supervision.
14. Ability to multi task while working under stress and time constraints.
15. Ability to work required shifts for Pharmacy Technicians.
16. Ability to understand and follow instructions.
17. Ability to successfully complete company required Pharmaceutical training.
18. Must be at least 18 years of age and be a high school graduate or equivalent.
19. Reports to work in proper uniform per company policy.
Varies depending on store location and state/county requirements.
Inside: 100% Outside: 0%
Temperature Extremes: Not Applicable
Chemicals: Frequent (prescriptions pharmaceuticals) Rarely (mild detergents, glass cleaner and hand sanitizer).
MACHINES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT:
Carts, box cutters, pens, pencils, spray bottle, rags, telephone/intercom, cash register, credit card reader, computer, pill counting trays, distilled water dispenser, pill boxes, fax machine.
Job Title: Pharmacy Technician
Constant (over 67% of the time) Frequent (up to 66% of the time)
Occasional (up to 33% of the time) Rarely (less than 10% of the time)
Constantly lifts/carries 1-10 lbs. Occasionally lifts/carries 11-20 lbs. Rarely lifts/carries 21-50 lbs.
Occasionally pushes/pulls 1-10 lbs. Rarely pushes/pulls 11-20 lbs.
Constant knee to shoulder level reaching. Frequent overhead and at or above shoulder level reaching.
Constant standing while on job, in one place for extended periods of time. Must be able to stand in a small area on tile and cement for up to five hours with one fifteen minute break. Sitting allowed on breaks.
Frequent walking while on job.
Rarely, may use ladder or step stool. May need to climb stairs to second floor break room/offices/restrooms.
Frequent neck rotation and bending of head, bending/stooping and twisting. Occasionally squatting. Rarely crouching and kneeling.
Constant handling/grasping, fine finger manipulation, and repetitive motion.
Use of peripheral vision and depth perception used to move about crowed pharmacy area. Near vision is used to read product labels, orders, computer screen displays, and cash register.
To converse with customers, provide service, answer questions and conduct business. To receive instruction from other employees and supervisors, to receive information via telephone, intercom or IDL.
To converse with customers, answer questions and conduct business. To page other employees over intercom, give instructions, and provide Superior Customer Service.
Safeway will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities who can meet essential job functions.
SAFEWAY INC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $14.00 to $18.00 /hour