Environmental Products Trader
No. of Positions
Job DescriptionPurpose & Accountabilities:
The Environmental Products Trading Business (EPTB) operates in environmental product markets across the globe and has the following objectives:
- Management of Shell Group’s position in all Environmental Products markets at a global level
- Structured Trading, including development and optimisation of a deal portfolio with significant embedded optionality
- Proprietary Trading
- Originating solutions to third party customers and JV partners
- Working with other Shell Trading desks to market Cross-Commodity products to customers and generate optimization opportunities across desks
EPTB is part of Shell Trading with desks in London, Singapore, San Diego and Shanghai.
General job definition
The position calls for a self-motivated, entrepreneurial and responsible individual with the ability to perform well under pressure and with limited direct supervision within a global team of capable and motivated individuals.
The role is as a frontline Trader. You will be expected to grow the desk’s access to customers and counterparties and work alongside colleagues to build a profitable trade book through obtaining desired short and medium term exposures, especially optionality. Given the pace of market developments, you will need to be agile, adaptive and possessed of a strong work ethic.
You will primarily be responsible for meeting targets for Gross Margin, with an emphasis on material and sustainable contributions. You will be working in a rapidly evolving business area, often in challenging regulatory and legal environments. The role will require you to:
The Environmental Products
- Grow materially the gross margin from direct customer & counterparty deals in the Asia Pacific and Oceania Carbon markets. The customer base will include entities from the aviation, commercial & industrial, utility, transport and forestry sectors, with the counterparties encompassing trading houses, pension funds, banks and major compliance entities with active trading teams.
- Build strong relationships with counterparts, such that they become sources of liquidity, margin and structure. These counterparts will include trading houses, banks and major compliance entities with active trading teams.
- Create innovative structured products in response to demand and changing market conditions, and work with internal stakeholders to get necessary approvals.
- Make markets in spot, forwards and timespreads. Be able to manage exposures in an illiquid market.
- Maintain close links with other market participants such as brokers, utilities, exchanges and market regulators.
- Manage exposures arising from Shell’s own compliance position in the Asia Pacific marke
- Follow best practices in the execution of trades in the market and management of residual risks.
- Provide input and insights into the generation of proprietary trading strategies.
- Ensure that all desk activities comply with financial and market regulations, as well as Shell’s compliance manual.
This role is a challenging position within Shell with excellent development opportunities across the Shell group. We are interested in attracting people to our business who share our core working values of honesty, integrity and have respect for others. We also want those who can build on our business vision, are prepared to accept accountability and can achieve great results through teamwork.Auto req ID
Country of Work Location
Shell is one the largest foreign investors in Singapore and began operations in 1891. Today, we have more than 3,200 employees in Singapore alone. The Pulau Bukom Manufacturing Site today is the largest Shell refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity, which makes Singapore a key regional supply and trading centre for Shell in the East. Singapore is the largest petrochemical production and export centre in the Asia Pacific region. Shell Jurong Island (SJI) manufactures petrochemicals to meet the fast-growing demand for these products in the region. We also have one of the largest single-branded retail networks in Singapore, providing customers with a wide range of quality products and services. When you join Shell in Singapore, you can count on our commitment to help you thrive and propel your career by means of our industry-leading development programme and our available and unrivalled pool of local and global experts. Our numerous global and local skill pools as well as our diversity are key to our success and continuing innovation.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Singapore - Metropolis
- Candidates are required to have a wide set of multidisciplinary skills including:
Significant commercial experience in a trading, with ability to influence at the Executive Board level. Strong analytical skills and ability to progress complex negotiations.
Experience in trade execution, managing trading exposures and generating value from optionality. Knowledge of “life-of-the-deal” process is desirable.
Proven track record in developing innovative structured deals and successfully taking them through an internal approval process.
Experience of Emissions Trading Schemes globally.
Strong quantitative skills and experience in options valuation. Advanced Excel skills is a must, with programming knowledge desirable.
Familiarity with the customer on-boarding process and negotiation of trading master agreements, alongside good knowledge of credit clauses.
Excellent communication, relationship building and presentation skills.
Fluency in the English language. Fluency in another language, is desirable.
We require a creative, profit focused individual with excellent analytical/numerical and interpersonal skills and capable of contributing to the team ethos. Working under tight deadlines and conflicting pressures, the candidate will prove able to continue delivering to an excellent standard, with clear focus on the bottom line and priorities in hand. The job is at the sharp edge of the Group's efforts to streamline global businesses and deliver highest value proposition to its customers. The successful candidate will show the will and the ability to contribute to this objective and to constantly improve personal and team performance.
Confident and self-motivated, your excellent interpersonal and communication skills mean you will be able to liaise effectively with all levels of management and other businesses. You will have the ability to generate creative solutions to problems.
This role is a challenging position within Shell with excellent development opportunities across the Shell group. We are interested in attracting people to our business who share our core working values of honesty, integrity and have respect for others. We also want those who can build on our business vision, are prepared to accept accountability and can achieve great results through teamwork.
City, State (if applicable)