Job Summary: "We create happiness.”
That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
Story Development at Walt Disney Imagineering is the process of creating a story experience on the attraction, land, resort level, establishing themes, generating high concepts and creating written outlines, treatments, scripts in collaboration with project teams, with the ultimate objective to solve business problems and entertain and inspire the Disney Guest.For full consideration, please send resume and include cover letter.
- The STAFF WRITER is responsible for the generation of story ideas and story development through research, outline, treatment, final script, and documentation under the supervision of a senior member of the Story Development team
- The Staff Writer brainstorms within show teams, generates notes from writers room sessions in an organized and timely fashion, supports the story development team's interactive process, and—as requested—helps flesh out the story of a ride, environmental, and/or media based attraction
- In addition to story, the Staff Writer also develops nomenclature, sign copy for supporting show and operational graphics, operational spiels, safety and show dialogue, and assists with legal clearance and language translation as needed (e.g. OLC, SHDR)
- The Staff Writer supports company-wide internal and external communications
- The Staff Writer must be able to work effectively under tight deadlines, while maintaining individual creative integrity and communicating effectively
- The Staff Writer works independently on small projects of limited complexity, or as a participant on a team for larger scope—from concept to completion
- Position requires a minimum of 2 years professional writing experience
- Published Portfolio or writing samples that demonstrate unique voice and versatility
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Complete competency in Microsoft Word, Final Draft, Keynote, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to effectively navigate the Internet and archival resources
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to receive constructive feedback and collaborate with team members
- Proactive problem solver
- Ability to work independently on numerous projects of varying levels of complexity from concept to completion.
- Disney Theme Park experience and/or working knowledge of the themed entertainment industry are plusses
- Creative Writing, Playwriting, Screen Writing, Journalism or Communications studies preferred
- BA, BS, or MS degree desired
- Foreign language skills a plus
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.