Working for Equity Residential means being part of
a community and striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking
boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we
work together. That’s what our Be.Think.Play.Live. culture is all about.
As a Sales and Use Tax Accountant (which we refer to
internally as a “Regional Accountant”), you will be responsible for the
preparation of multi-state sales and use tax returns as well as monthly account
reconciliations for sales and use tax. Additionally, you will assist with tax
audits, including preparing responses to notices and other tax-related
inquiries and maintaining the tax compliance calendar. You will leverage your
critical thinking skills to conduct necessary research, analyze large sets of
data, and propose solutions to improve process efficiencies. As a Sales and Use
Tax Accountant for Equity Residential, you will work as an integral part of a
collaborative team, and will play an active role in contributing to the greater
accounting initiatives of a publicly traded real estate investment trust that
acquires, develops, owns, and manages high quality apartment properties in top
U.S. growth markets.
WHO YOU ARE
- Knowledgeable. Through previous work and/or school
experiences, you’ve been exposed to accounting principles and enjoy the
concepts of measuring, processing, and communicating business-related financial
- Organized, Efficient, and Accountable. You have a keen eye for detail and pride yourself on
delivering quality work. You multitask well, re-prioritize accordingly, and
meet deadlines consistently. Above all,
you are flexible and able to juggle the needs of changing priorities of the
business. And when a special project arises, you are frequently known to
- A Critical Thinker. You’re self-motivated to analyze
and evaluate information gathered or received and take action to ask smart
questions, challenge the status quo, and regularly seek to understand.
- A Team Player.
You enjoy partnering with others —whether internal or external— in order to get
work done and deliver great results.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, demonstrating
your ability to be articulate and understood.
- Technologically Savvy. Tools like email and internet
access start as basic necessities in your daily operation and you are
comfortable using computers. Microsoft Excel is a tool you know how to organize
and leverage in order to successfully manipulate information into a user
friendly format. You also enjoy
researching trends, organizing data, and problem solving when your
findings indicate further research is required.
- Eager to Learn. You invest extra energy in opportunities that
expand your current knowledge base and propel you toward reaching your
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Ensure timely and accurate filing of
sales and use tax returns on a monthly and ongoing basis; maintaining an
accurate tax compliance calendar for the department.
- Maintain supporting documentation, accounts, and records to support proper reporting
procedures of tax and indirect returns.
- Set up and close sales and use tax accounts based on property acquisition and property disposition activity.
- Lead the sales and use tax audit process, including preparing responses to notices and other
- Conduct appropriate research and analyze large sets of data as needed in order to
propose and implement improvements in system and process efficiency.
- Serve as an internal accounting liaison for
assigned portfolio and Equity Residential’s Central Business Group by helping
to research and correct any property-level accounting issues, such as NSF
returns and other bank correction notices.
- Participate in special accounting activities such as cash flow mortgage payments, replacement reserve requests,
property accounting support, etc.
- Prepare capital reclass packages, which
involves obtaining appropriate approvals and collecting all necessary backup.
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal and external partners.
- Participate in special projects, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
(with a business, accounting, or finance focus a plus) as well as 1+ years of
accounting experience and demonstrated knowledge of basic accounting
- Experience filing for
various states and/or general knowledge of state law is preferred.
- Must have intermediate
skills in Microsoft Word and Excel, plus some familiarity with Google
- Detail oriented and
well-organized, with an ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize
- Strong written and verbal
communication skills, with an ability to speak and write in a clear and
- Team player that
demonstrates flexibility and the ability to integrate and work well with
- Ability to work under tight
deadlines without sacrificing quality of work product.
- Motivated to succeed with
capacity to assume increasing responsibility.
We recognize everyone has
different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive
benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many
unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community
service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.