REPORTS TO: Principal
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
- Alpha: Cindy Avitia High School
- Alpha Public Schools students and families
- Alpha school leaders, office manager, teachers, education specialists and network staff
Born out of parent activism, Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world. Alpha Cindy Avitia High School opened in the fall of 2015 and we are building out one grade level each year.
Alpha is seeking an entrepreneurial teacher to contribute to a growing English department that teaches students to love reading, to understand and dissect arguments, to write with force and focus, to perform narratives and speeches, and to have rich discussions and respectful debates. Additionally, all English teachers will do a deep dive into composition, grammar and writing.
This individual will have high expectations for all students and a willingness to work hard, doing whatever is necessary to ensure the success of every student. They possess a growth mindset, strong personal character, and a consistent track record of high performance that is results-oriented. They are hard working, punctual, urgent, energetic, and embrace a spirit of self-reflection with a constant desire to improve. Finally, Alpha’s teachers hold a deep belief that all students can succeed in college, and that it is the responsibility of secondary school teachers to ensure that success.
- Build strong relationships with students and their families
- Work closely with colleagues to problem solve to create a successful learning environment
- Understand the assets and challenges our community faces
- Find and focus on opportunities to improve student learning
- Problem solve using a discipline approach to empathizing, brainstorming, and testing new solutions
- Taking responsible risks to test and refine new solutions
- Sharing solutions with the Alpha community and beyond
Instruction & Delivery
- Design and implement curricula aligned to Common Core standards
- Participate in all professional development meetings/retreats and opportunities to further enhance your expertise as a teacher and leadership skills as an Alpha employee
- Reflect regularly on teaching practice and act on constructive feedback
- Engage in collaborative curricula development, data analysis, and problem solving
- Maximize personalized learning by creatively leveraging blended learning resources and adjusting teaching practices to ensure high student achievement
- Create a safe, fun and academically challenging classroom culture
- Reinforce the school-wide behavior management systems and expectations
- Build on the student core values and personalized leadership training in and outside of the classroom
- Hold all students to high expectations both academic and behavior
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum, inform instructional practices, and drive progress towards academic standards
- Collect and assess data from the student database and all blended learning applications to drive decision making around student performance
- Analyze data with families, students and school leaders
- EXPERIENCED: Alpha teachers typically have 1-5 years of teaching experience in an urban public school.
- DRIVEN: Alpha teachers have a relentless drive to advance the minds and lives of students in and out of the classrooms. They have a strong sense of personal responsibility.
- STRATEGIC: Alpha teachers work hard and smart. They use systems to make the most of finite resources, chiefly among them, time.
- GROWTH MINDSET: Alpha teachers are committed to their students’ growth and their own. They are both proud and critical of their work, and never stop seeking opportunities to improve.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha teachers are innovators who take responsible risks to develop solutions to meet each students’ needs. They learn from data, and act on constructive criticism to improve their craft.
- COLLABORATIVE: Alpha teachers solve challenges and work together to advance their craft as a team. They demonstrate strong communication and relationship building with students, families, and colleagues.
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha teachers adapt to meet the needs of students and a startup work environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid Single Subject Teaching Credential
- Intern Credential will be considered
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
What Alpha Offers Its Teachers
As a teacher at Alpha, you will change the educational and economic trajectory of students who otherwise would not attend college. You will work with a passionate, hard working and collaborative staff. You will significantly and directly impact the success and direction of a startup charter school, and have the opportunity to advance into a leadership role within a rapidly growing organization.
- Competitive starting salaries
- Excellent medical and retirement benefits
- A strong instructional coaching system and administrative support
- A committed team and mission-driven organization
- The opportunity to innovate and disrupt the traditional school model
- A parent community committed to educational excellence
- The opportunity to build on the foundation of the English Department
Apply to work at Alpha:
Please submit your application online
- A cover letter that includes the following:
- Why do you want to teach at Alpha Public Schools? (250 words or less)
- What is your philosophy and approach on student behavior management and why? (250 words or less).
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
If you have any questions, reach out to the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org