About the Role
As Uber's Director of Policy, Cities and Transportation, you will lead Uber's efforts to drive positive change in urban transportation systems around the world.
You will be in charge of working with business and product teams to lead Uber's strategy across issues that are top priorities for urban transportation policy makers - climate change and sustainability, public transportation, the built environment, data sharing, and transportation equity. You will also partner with our content, marketing, and policy teams to coordinate engagement tactics and drive awareness of Uber's work in this space. Finally, you'll also facilitate communications between Uber and the broader transportation community, and ensure their ideas and feedback are heard and understood within the company.
You'll be joining at an incredibly exciting time. Imagine a future where bikes, scooters, buses, trains, UberPool, and UberX seamlessly interconnect to lower transportation costs, reduce congestion, and cut climate emissions. Our product teams are building these world class products, and you have the opportunity to direct the approach to bring us in to closer and more meaningful partnership with cities around the world.
What You'll Do
- Lead a team of senior professionals working on the individual verticals in your portfolio - public transportation, sustainability, built environment, data sharing, equity
- Empower local policy & comms teams with best-in-class resources on Uber's impact on transportation
- Understand the needs of cities and transit agencies by building relationships with individuals in the transportation community
- Help shape the intellectual climate of opinion by articulating Uber's commitment in press interviews, public appearances, and conferences
- Stay-up-to speed on the latest research on ridesharing relationship with public transit and prepare analyses on reports for distribution to local policy & communications teams
- Identify and support opportunities to advance the state of the art in public transportation research
- Serve as the primary point of contact at Uber for influencers in the transportation community
- Provide policy guidance to tech teams on product positioning
What You'll Need
- Past experience in a senior leadership position in urban transportation with a minimum of 10 - 15 years of experience in the field; preferably, you will have 7+ years experience working in business, academia, think tanks, government or the private sector, in public transit or a related industry
- A self starter - Uber is a company of entrepreneurs and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up; you'll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure
- An intellectually curious leader - We are responsible for developing the thought leadership positions that drive our public policy agenda around the world; you'll need to seek out issues just on the horizon and devour as much information as you can get your hands on to develop your expertise
- A great advocate - We're looking to create new regulatory frameworks that encourage innovation and alternatives to individual car ownership; you'll need the intellectual fire power to grasp complex policy issues as well as the ability to articulate clearly and simply how apps like Uber can help improve transportation for everyone, both orally and in writing
- A team player - Success at Uber depends on the ability to organize different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals; we're looking for well organized people who enjoy working with others to get stuff done, and who can deal with the ambiguity that sometimes comes from working cross-functionally
- A strong project manager - You should be able to conceptualize, own, drive and complete projects that will move the needle on given issues and support our overall arguments
About the Team
The Central Public Policy Team has a global remit and is responsible for developing solutions to policy opportunities and regulatory challenges in issue domains that impact on Uber's global business. Working closely with on-the-ground Public Affairs and Government Relations and cross-functional partners we develop best in class policy solutions backed by rigorous research and data. The Central Public Policy Team also provides strategic advice and guidance to Tech and Product organizations as well as key executives in the execution of Uber's business goals.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.