Title: Rainbow Wahine Basketball Team Manager
Hiring Unit: UHM Athletics Department
Location: Wahine Basketball
Date Posted: July 8, 2019
Closing Date: Continuous - application review begins July 15, 2019
Monthly Type: 9 Month
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
Other Conditions: Manager positions are renewable upon satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with all managerial aspects of the program including clerical work such as inputting of data and filing paperwork, organizing team travel, preparation of practice/game facilities and equipment, video taping of practices and games, clock management during practices, assist with team functions such as community service events and the Rainbow Wahine Basketball Booster Club. Demonstrate effective organizational skills and time management.
- Be responsible for practice/game facilities and equipment for the Rainbow Wahine Basketball Team and visiting teams. Set up and clean up of facilities and equipment.
- The individual may participate in limited on-court activities during practice (e.g., assist with drills) or competition (e.g., assist with warm-up activities) involving student-athletes. The individual shall not provide instruction to student-athletes. The individual shall not participate in countable athletically related activities (e.g., practice player) except as permitted in NCAA Bylaw 11.01.6.
- Videotaping and editing of practices and games.
- Clock management during practices.
- Clerical office work and record keeping. Inputting of data and filing paperwork. Maintain confidentiality with office work and all other aspects of the program.
- Assist with administrative duties such as mail outs and team meeting preparation.
- Be available prior, during and after all home competitions for game preparation.
- Assist with organization of community service events and the Wahine Basketball Booster Club.
- Comply with the Rainbow Wahine Basketball Team Guidelines including academic standards.
- Maintains confidentiality to include but not limited to information, files and records that the incumbent may obtain or possess, in accordance with federal and state laws and University of Hawaii policies.
- Must demonstrate a positive and professional working attitude and maintain a collaborative working relationship with the coaching staff, team members, support staff, administrators in the UH Athletics Department and other individuals associated with the Rainbow Wahine Basketball Program.
- Know, recognize, and comply with laws, policies, rules, and regulations governing the University of Hawaii and its employees, and the rules of the NCAA and affiliated Conferences as now constituted or as may be amended in the future. Immediately advises the Director of Athletics or designee if you have reasonable cause to believe violations, whether by employees, students, or others have occurred or will occur.
- Other duties as assigned.
CRITERIA FOR TEAM MANAGER: Per NCAA Bylaw 11.01.7 Manager: A manager is an individual who performs traditional managerial duties (e.g., equipment, laundry, hydration) and meet the following additional criteria: (a) The individual shall be a full-time undergraduate (12 credits at the University of Hawaii at Manoa (UHM)) or a degree seeking graduate student (8 credits at UHM) (see Bylaws 14.2.2 and18.104.22.168.4), except that during his or her final semester or quarter of a degree program, he or she may be enrolled in less than a full-time program of studies, provided he or she is carrying (for credit) the courses necessary to complete the degree requirements; (b) The individual may participate in limited on-court or on-field activities during practice (e.g., assist with drills, throw batting practice) or competition (e.g., assist with warm-up activities) involving student-athletes on a regular basis; (c) The individual shall not provide instruction to student-athletes; (d) The individual shall not participate in countable athletically related activities (e.g., practice player) except as permitted in Bylaw 11.01.7-(b); and
(e) An undergraduate team manager must maintain a minimum semester and cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or above and complete a minimum of 12 credits each semester.
(f) A graduate team manager may be allowed to be a manager for two (2) years only. Graduate Manager must maintain a minimum semester and cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
BENEFITS: Maximum amount a team manager may receive will be equal to an undergraduate resident tuition. Tuition does not include payment for Outreach College extension courses. Team Manager will be responsible for payment to Outreach College. Tuition payment will be prorated if the start date and completion of all required paperwork is after the first day of school. Any expenses over and beyond the above limit (undergraduate resident tuition) are the responsibility of the student manager (i.e. difference of non-resident tuition, difference of graduate school tuition and fees, books, difference of student-athlete GIA room and board).
APPOINTMENT PERIOD: 2019 Fall Semester and 2019 Spring Semester. Manager positions are renewable upon satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
- Acceptance and enrolled as a full-time student at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa.
- Knowledge of basketball.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office Word and Excel, EZ Exchange
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to manage time wisely.
TO APPLY: Click on the "Apply" button on the top right corner of the screen to complete an application and attach 1) cover letter indicating how you satisfy the minimum and desirable qualifications, 2) resume, and 3)names of 3 professional references (including title and contact information).
Teneshia Ruff; 808-956-4507; firstname.lastname@example.orgEEO/AA, Clery Act, ADA
The University of Hawai'i is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawai'i may be viewed at: https://ope.ed.gov/campussafety/#/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
Accommodation Request: The University of Hawai'i complies with the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the EEO coordinator directly. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. For further information, please refer to the following link: https://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/accommodation-request/
The University of Hawai'i does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, color, national origin, or disability in its programs and activities.