This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Childwatch Attendant gives direction and supervision to infant, preschool age and children up to 12 years of age of YMCA members participating in temporary childcare. Will lead programmed activities.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
1. Greet parents and children and communicate ChildWatch/KidzClub policies and guidelines
2. Change diapers as needed
3. Plan and implement a weekly program that includes theme, games, stories, crafts, circle times and special events
4. Supervise and participate with children during all large and small group activities
5. Provide discipline for children that is age appropriate
6. Maintain respect of the child
7. Possess a working knowledge of safety and emergency procedures and be able to exercise sound judgment, and report any unsafe conditions to supervisor immediately
8. Demonstrate proper care and storage of equipment and supplies
9. Communicate effectively and exhibit a professional attitude with all other staff, parents and children
10. Serve as Primary Responder for all accidents and incidents
11. Complete routine and required forms to include, but not limited to: attendance records, observation records and incident and injury reports
12. May be required to work hours outside of normal work schedule for staff meetings, trainings, extended program hours, parent nights or association events
13. Assist with the cleaning of toys and environment as directed by supervisor
14. Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Developing Others
- Emotional Maturity
1. Must be 18 years of age and with at least 6 months of childcare experience.
2. A High School Diploma or GED is preferred.
3. Certifications required within the first week of hire: Redwoods Bloodborne Pathogens and Hazardous Communications
4. Certifications required within the first 60 days of hire: CPR Pro and First Aid. If working at a location with a pool, must also complete O2 certification
5. Must be able to establish and maintain harmonious relationships by promoting caring, honesty, respect and responsibility with staff, YMCA members, and program participants.
6. Incumbent must be a positive role model to children and display emotional maturity and stability at all times.
7. Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate
8. Previous experience with diverse populations. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships
with people from different backgrounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
1. Work is performed in an active environment.
2. Incumbent must have the ability to communicate with staff, children and parents.
3. This position requires high levels of attention and alertness.
4. Visual acuity is required for child supervision.
5. Repetitive stooping and bending with regular lifting of up to 20 pounds is required. Ability to stand and walk for long periods at a time are required, as well as, the ability to run and be able to participate in sports.
6. Must be able to respond to emergency situations.